Tuesday, October 14, 2008

One Advantage to Jet Lag

One advantage to jet lag is that when you are up very late at night you can always stitch. This is another Bent Creek Sheep kit called Freedom. I didn't stitch this on the plane from San Francisco to Frankfurt because it was an overnight flight, so the cabin lights were off. It was DARK. But I did start it in the Frankfurt airport in the United First Class Lounge waiting for our flight to Barcelona. Then I kept going after we crashed Thursday afternoon and woke up at o'dark o'clock on Friday morning. There have been a few more stitches done every night that I have been up in the middle of the night. I should have this finished by the time we finish the cruise.

Overall I have been fighting such bad jet lag that I haven't done as much sightseeing as I usually do. The best thing in Barcelona has been the two and half hour Gourmet walking tour we took Saturday morning. There were eleven of us on the English language tour; some English, Australians, and New Zealanders. The guide was Catalonian, but spoke excellent English. He had a braodcasting microphone and we all had iPod like receivers. This was great as you didn't have to be standing right next to him to hear what he had to say. We started off at a Granja (farm). No, not a real farm, but a cafe/store that used to have real cows and sold fresh milk and fresh milk products. Now they sell bottled milk, curd, and cheese. But it is best known as the place that grandparents take their grandkids and treat them with chocolate milk. We also visited a patisserie. Although Spanish food is olive oiled based, Barcelona's butter based breakfast pastries and desserts are French. The northern parts of Spain do not have the strong Arabic influences of the southern part of Spain. This picture is from the famous Barcelona Boqueria (market). Although not as large as Les Halles in Paris, it still has an impressive array of fruits, vegetables, meats (especially cured hams) and seafood. We also visited a Torron (nougat candy maker), a cafe that predominately serves a rich, thick chocolate drink, and ended up with at a wine bar, including a nice glass of white wine and a salami tapas. That was a lot of walking for me, but I kept up.

We just came back from Sagrada Familia, the unfinished cathedral started by Gaudí. It is quite impressive, but like most of the tourist sites in Barcelona is was packed with people. If it is this crowded on a weekday in October, I am glad we were not here in the summer. Tomorrow morning we leave Barcelona for Lisbon. We will just be there one night before we board the Seabourn Pride on Thursday afternoon. Since we will have a few days in Lisbon after the cruise, I don't plan to try and see anything in Lisbon this week. An evening reading and stitching sounds just fine to me.

Once again this is written on Tuesday afternoon at 3:15 PM and not six in the morning. I suppose I could get Blogger to recognize that I am in a different time zone, but I think I won't fight it. I hope everyone is having a lovely week.

2 comments:

sari.i. said...

Have a fun holiday Kathryn!!! Hopefully you will get rid of the jet lag soon!

Anna van Schurman said...

Jet lag's no fun; I hope you recover soon. I usually have to stitch in the bathroom because we never get a suite, and I shouldn't wake the dude. I was granted a reprieve in Bermuda. We had a lovely balcony, and I got to stitch in the bright sunshine. I can't wait to read all about your trip!