Friday, November 7, 2008

Is It Just Me?

Or are there more and more patterns and models that don't match? This is Kit & Bixby's Summer Wool. The border on the model is stitched one stitch higher than the pattern (I followed the pattern). The rear of the sheep is charted in the same light greys as the top of the sheep, but the model has the rear end darker (and if you know sheep, you know it should be darker). I'm trying to follow the model. The inside of the ears were charted in 924 (Grey Green - Very Dark, though the thread looks more dark blue than green), so I used the same thread as the model, the darkest of the five greys in the sheep's body. But even with these minor changes, I am still enjoying stitching this. The checkerboard pattern means that I can do 4, 8, or 12 stitches without looking at the pattern at all. I also have Autumn Wool, Winter Wool, Spring Wool, and Haunted Wool. At least one of these will be stitched next year.

I started this on the flight from Lisbon to Frankfurt. I thought I would stitch a lot more on the flight from Frankfurt to San Francisco, but instead I got caught up watching three bad movies and playing video games on the new United inflight entertainment system. Mama Mia! had great actors who can't sing or dance. My husband, who could see my screen but not hear the sound, said it looked like a Bollywood picture. At least I didn't expect a story. X-Files: I Want to Believe did not resemble any X-File episode I'd even seen. They should have named it, I Want to Talk and Not Resolve Anything. Not even any cool monsters. The last movie, Wanted, with James MacAvoy and Angelina Jolie, is pure unbelievable action. First I have to say that I can watch James MacAvoy read from the telephone book and be pretty well entertained. Secondly, I guess I'm just an action junkie, but I really liked it. And just so that they don't come to my house and remove my Mensa card, I can recommend a truly great movie we just watched from Netflix, Charlie Wilson's War. Directed by Mike Nichols with dialogue by Aaron Sorkin (The West Wing). This is a political, feel good movie (if that is not a contradiction in terms) about the successful covert funding of Afgani rebels against the Soviet Union.

The minor projects we need to do continue onward. We have a new pool guy. The California car got it's first servicing in possibly two years. (It's hard to get a car serviced when you only have one and you are barely in town for more than a day or two.) Dry cleaning and prescriptions picked up. iPhone plug replaced. We will keep working on things until James drives back to San Francisco, probably next Tuesday. Then I will get out the sewing machine and see what happens. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

3 comments:

Donna said...

I have noticed discrepancies between charts and the model photo for years. I don't really think there is any increase in this. It's just something that happens between the model being stitched from a chart that is still undergoing renovation or a model stitcher who makes improvements to the chart that the designer then doesn't update.

Ruth said...

It's not just you. But more importantly, WELCOME HOME!!!!

Art thou coming to LosCon, by chance?

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

I think it depends on the designer/company. Some do a much better job of proof reading and comparing their instructions to the models that are stitched. Of course, most do include the usual disclaimer along the lines that the model and the instructions might vary. :-)

I'm picky about what I buy because of this and other stitching challenges. If it's a new designer/product line, I'll purchase only one chart/project to "test". If it's too frustrating, I won't purchase anything else.

At least with this one you sound like you are still having fun even if you are making some modifications/corrections! :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow