Friday, December 19, 2008

Finally!

Once I sat down and decided to finish the last plastic ornament, it only took a little over an hour. It feels very strange to have finished these (after only ten years). Now, of course, comes the slightly harder part, cutting them out, backing them with felt and wiring them together. Since we leave for back east very early Monday morning, I have three days to get that accomplished. At least I know my in-laws love ornaments and will really appreciate these. I don't know if I will tell them that I have been working on them for ten years!

I was so excited to have the last one finished, that I immediately started on a new pattern. This is a kit from Heart in Hand (Autumn Sampler) that I have had ironed and in tiny Q-snaps for a while. Instead of trying to finish a 2008 Goal, I decided that another new start (and quick finish) would be just what I need right now. I really like working with the WDW and GAST threads, though the linen is a bit coarse. Samplers are so satisfying as each letter is a mini-Happy Dance.

This week has been very strange. On Tuesday we spent most of the day looking at houses (not to buy, just to check out designs). We wanted another look at the lot we are going to buy, but when we went to start the car again, it had been taken over by aliens. The car would not start, but the dash lights flashed and the DVD player came on, even without the keys in the ignition! It was pretty hard to tell AAA exactly where we were (on an unmarked street in the middle of an unfinished development), but luckily they found us before it got too dark. This wouldn't have been too bad if we had just needed a jump, but when we stopped again to pick up a picture for my mother-in-law that we had gotten framed, the car again seemed possessed. Now it was dark and getting colder, but at least we were safely in a parking lot where AAA could find us. Once we got another jump start, we immediately headed over to the dealership, where they gave us a rental car (a Ford F150 truck -- that thing was a monster!) and told us the battery would be replaced by the next day.

And on Wednesday the snow storm of 2008 hit with a vengeance. We had gotten an inch or two of snow in 2003, but it barely lasted four hours. This storm was focused on our community and dumped over 8 inches of snow. We barely could make it up the one foot rise of our driveway. Once we did, we stayed put.







These pictures make it look very pretty, but even today, the snow is still hanging around and has damaged some of our trees that are not used to extra weight. I am grateful that we had plenty of food and never lost power. I am also grateful that this is a once every five year event and that we don't have to face ice and snow every year. I am just bundled up and working on my stitching.

5 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

You got snow? Your in Vegas, right? Are you in the mountains? Maybe the aliens who invaded your car brought it. LOL. Cr-a-a-a-zy.

Anna van Schurman said...

Oh, and congratulations on finishing the ornaments!

Kendra said...

OK, something is just not right when places like New Orleans and Las Vegas have gotten more snow than we have here in western Kentucky. We've seen maybe a grand total of 10 minutes worth of snow that resulted in a dusting at the most.

*grumble*

Meari said...

Congrats on finishing your angel ornament! Wow, look at that snow. (Just a dusting compared to here...LOL)

Meari said...

Congrats on finishing your angel ornament! Wow, look at that snow. (Just a dusting compared to here...LOL)