Friday, December 12, 2008

LNS: Columbus, Ohio

When I travel, I like to visit the Local Needlework Shops, if there are any. Before I left for Columbus, Ohio, I found some good reviews for Cross My Heart, about six miles north of the downtown area. Since I was going to a pretty low key convention, it would be easy to go out Saturday afternoon and do some stash enhancement. It was a good thing that that I had all afternoon free and it was a good thing that my husband decided to drive (although looking at needlework and fabric stores is not on his list of priorities at all). Although Friday was cold, the streets were clear. On Saturday it started to snow and the roads, even the main freeways, were treacherously icy. We were in a tiny rental car that acted like a hockey puck. Although it has been decades since we had to regularly drive on ice, my husband was up to the challenge. All I had to do was hold tightly to the door handle and try not to whimper too much. It was a scary 45 minutes to get to the store.

But once there I was really glad that I came. This store is chock full of wonderful patterns and more models than I have seen in any other store. There are a ton of the most beautiful Miribilia mermaids and fairies, several of the new Nora Corbett alphabet blocks and Christmas, Christmas, Christmas everywhere you look. I told my husband that I would only be a half an hour, but of course I did take longer than that. I picked up two Lizzie*Kate Snippets (Santa's Got the Goods and Don't Get Your Tinsel in a Tangle) and Bent Creek's The Holly Berry Sampler (just because the model was so pretty). I also had to have Raise the Roof's Closet UFO's (I mean, rockets AND WiPs? Oh, and a sheep? Was it made for me?) But my favorite discoveries were two Kit & Bixby Sheep patterns that I did not have; Patriot Wool and Lucky Wool. If you live close by you are truly lucky because there is also a comfortable back room for group stitching. If you ever travel to Columbus, be make a detour to Cross My Heart. It's well worth it.

And if you are a cook, there is a Penzey's spice shop right next door! I have ordered from their online store for years, but this is the first time I have seen a brick and mortar one. I have to say I went a little wild in there, too. But at least the salt-free mixes are presents for my mother-in-law.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Woo hoo sounds like an adventure. While I don't envy you the roads, that shop sounds divine. And spices too. Was it enough to keep Himself engaged?

Linen Stitcher said...

Kathryn, We could definitely travel together. Before going to a new area, the first thing I do is look to see where the nearest needlework store is. Sorry you had to brave the ice, but I'm glad it was worth the trip.

Daffycat said...

Any time we travel the first thing I do is hunt down the phone book and see what needlework shops are nearby! That is, if I haven't already googled for them!

Sounds like you had a grand time even. Ooo, I hate driving on icy roads...so brave you were!

mainely stitching said...

Other than the white-knuckle ride to get there, it sounds like a GREAT shopping trip!

Jennifer said...

Let me know when you're in the Philadelphia area. I will hook you up with some needlework shops.