Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Addicted to Lists?

Instructions:
  1. Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
  2. Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
  3. Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
  4. Optional extra: Post a comment here linking to your results.
The Omnivore's Hundred 90/100
  1. Venison and elk and moose and okapi
  2. Nettle tea
  3. Huevos rancheros though I'd rather not
  4. Steak tartare though carppaccio is better
  5. Crocodile pretty easy to find in Florida
  6. Black pudding
  7. Cheese fondue need a lot of wine for this. Hate swiss cheese.
  8. Carp and catfish
  9. Borscht both vegetarian and not, YUM.
  10. Baba ghanoush imam bayildi is a better use of eggplant.
  11. Calamari sometimes tasty, often the consistency of rubber erasers. I remain skeptical.
  12. Pho There are better soups.
  13. PB&J sandwich though I prefer PB & honey (with or without bananas and bacon)
  14. Aloo gobi always have this at our local Indian buffet. I love cauliflower.
  15. Hot dog from a street cart only in Chicago.
  16. Epoisses yes, but I'd rather not. The French version of ripe cheese is several weeks beyond what my taste favors.
  17. Black truffle Love it. Black truffle oil is also good. Best on rice or pasta (white truffle, too).
  18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes Poire Williams (pear) and Framboise (raspberry) and apple wine and whatever fruit you have, even true dandilion wine.
  19. Steamed pork buns used to eat these at the Oakland As ballpark.
  20. Pistachio ice cream one of my husband's favorites
  21. Heirloom tomatoes buy them whenever they are available.
  22. Fresh wild berries used to pick blueberries for breakfast in Pennsylvannia, but the best are Oregon raspberries fresh off the vine.
  23. Foie gras can I have some every day?
  24. Rice and beans a family staple
  25. Brawn, or head cheese as long as I don't have to look at it too closely
  26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper once, OK. Everyone is stupid once.
  27. Dulce de leche meh
  28. Oysters once or twice under protest
  29. Baklava had some this weekend
  30. Bagna cauda made some once. It was OK.
  31. Wasabi peas I like wasabi peanuts better.
  32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl often
  33. Salted lassi my husband likes sweet lassi. I don't like much yogurt all at once.
  34. Sauerkraut who hasn't eaten sauerkraut?
  35. Root beer float Red Robin's IBC version isn't too bad. Grew up on A&W.
  36. Cognac with a fat cigar haven't smoked in years, never smoked cigars, do Sobraine's (black Russian cigarettes) count?
  37. Clotted cream tea the only way to eat High Tea. Have even had a decent one on British Midlands airlines (quel suprise!)
  38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O brings back old, old memories
  39. Gumbo whenever I can find a good one
  40. Oxtail have cooked it, but veal shanks are better
  41. Curried goat our local Indian buffet always has this.
  42. Whole insects maybe I've eaten an ant by mistake, but NEVER on purpose
  43. Phaal maybe, since I've eaten a lot of Indian food, but maybe not, since I prefer northern Indian cuisine
  44. Goat’s milk and goat cheese, and goat's milk yogurt and goat's milk ricotta
  45. Malt whiskey from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more probably, but not definitely. The Scots were pouring, we were drinking, we weren't checking the price tag. The house single malt is Glenmorangie/Port Wine.
  46. Fugu I like fish. I like sushi. But I am not crazy.
  47. Chicken tikka masala hard to miss this if you like Indian food at all.
  48. Eel LOVE, love, love eel, especially in New Zealand and on sushi.
  49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnuts so? Way, way too sweet.
  50. Sea urchin have, won't again if I can help it.
  51. Prickly pear raw, chopped, but rather have it as jelly.
  52. Umeboshi meh
  53. Abalone So we were at this Malibu restaurant for Thanksgiving because I had a real jones for turkey. As we sat perusing the menu, the table next to us complained mightily about the dry turkey and the awful stuffing. We ordered the abalone.
  54. Paneer yes, I love Indian food
  55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal but I can't remember the last time I had it. A decade ago?
  56. Spaetzle we used to eat this all the time. I even tried to make some, then went back to buying Maggi brand.
  57. Dirty gin martini only if it is Tanqueray gin.
  58. Beer above 8% ABV yup, some of our homebrew friends can get there as do the Belgians.
  59. Poutine odd, but edible. We will be in Montreal again in August.
  60. Carob chips not if I can help it.
  61. S’mores I was a Girl Scout.
  62. Sweetbreads my huband's favorite. He had them at Carnevino last week.
  63. Kaolin
  64. Currywurst I'll eat almost anykind of wurst.
  65. Durian nope, not interested.
  66. Frogs’ legs again, a favorite of my husband.
  67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake all of the above. Like Beignets best.
  68. Haggis had my first haggis in Gleneagles, Scotland after the piping in of the whisky.
  69. Fried plantain if you have ever had Cuban food, there was probably some plantain on the plate.
  70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
  71. Gazpacho I make a GREAT gazpacho, all hand chopped.
  72. Caviar and blini I like the blini and sour cream better than the caviar, but I do like tobiko.
  73. Louche absinthe served the proper way, over a sugar cube over ice, slightly cloudy. Loved the presentation. Not that fond of the flavor or liquorice flavor in general.
  74. Gjetost, or brunost another cheese tasted I can do without. Why isn't Crottin on this list?
  75. Roadkill NO. Simply no.
  76. Baijiu Don't like most saki's either.
  77. Hostess Fruit Pie can't guarantee I ever ate one. I did burn my tongue on a MacDonald's apple pie once.
  78. Snail Did I tell you about the lady at the next table who hid her black truffle in the snail shell? I should have grabbed it off her plate.
  79. Lapsang souchong it's my favorite tea
  80. Bellini I like anything with peaches; ice cream, pie, jam, meatloaf and yes I have a peach/rice meatloaf recipe
  81. Tom Yum in Singapore without the coconut milk that I am allergic to. I avoid most Thai dishes for fear of coconut.
  82. Eggs Benedict my husband's favorite, especially with crab. I will eat it if I can avoid the egg part. Love hollandaise and muffins.
  83. Pocky I don't really understand the attraction.
  84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant Taillevent, Michel Richard, Alinea
  85. Kobe beef also Waygu
  86. Hare with mustard sauce.
  87. Goulash eat it, make it, it's wonderful.
  88. Flowers but I don't see the point.
  89. Horse in France.
  90. Criollo chocolate had to look this one up because I am not a chocoholic, but I have eaten Richart chocolate, so that it always Criollo.
  91. Spam I live in Hawaii part time. Of course I eat Spam. Like it fried from Sam's.
  92. Soft shell crab ONLY in Baltimore and environs.
  93. Rose harissa
  94. Catfish my husband is more of a fan than I am.
  95. Mole poblano especially mole poblano chicken enchiladas
  96. Bagel and lox better than eggs!
  97. Lobster Thermidor
  98. Polenta too easy, but I do like mine fried.
  99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee I don't drink coffee
  100. Snake tastes like chicken.

Yes, I am a foodie and have over 700 cookbooks.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Well I can safely say i've only eaten one item from that list tika masala and haven't even heard of most of it.

Donna said...

700 cookbooks!?! I bow in your direction. Once I got over 100 I instituted a rule that if a new cookbook came into the house, an old one had to leave. I've kind of fallen off that bandwagon and need to jump back on.

Anna van Schurman said...

I'm pleased to see someone else do this list who appreciates food and its complexities. Though the dude dislikes the way Americans use "high tea" to mean cream tea. To him, high tea is supper. Or dinner, depending on where you're from.

Anna van Schurman said...

Oh, and SO with you on the frickin' Krispy Kremes.