Monday, February 23, 2009

Good Progress

This weekend was the monthly Stitch-A-Thon. As repetitive as this was to stitch with only a few colors, I decided to stick with it and get as much done as I could. I'm glad to have finished all the tinsel-ly bits. Especially since towards the end I was very much afraid that I was going to run out of tinsel. I could probably color match the cotton threads, but not the bloody tinsel. I have tons of Kreinick and Rainbow Gallery, but nothing else looks like this stuff. As it was I had exactly one length left after stitching the last silver crosses. Whew! I could hardly write the designer in France to get me some more if I had run out. Now I can definitely see the end of this, which would give me a Finish for February and one thing to check off my 2009 Goals list. The count is large enough that I might even be able to finish this off on the plane flight to the mainland tomorrow.

Yes, today is our last day in Maui until probably April. I can't say that we got a lot done in this house, but some of the Guest Room closet has been installed. The landscaping that we planted last year is finally starting to fill in. This is a Red Ginger. We have a hedge of it planted at the end of the driveway near the house. It is incredibly cheerful and hardy. Since this is Winter (even if warmer than most of the mainland), the Hula Girl hibiscuses are not in bloom. There are lots of various greens in the yard, but not much color right now. We are also growing palm trees for the residental and commercial market. Some of them are over ten feet tall. I can see that we will have to harvest them by the end of the year.

But mostly my mind is turning to the projects that are back in Nevada. I'd like to keep organizing my sewing room and maybe actually sew something. I also need to make some progress on stitching Hawaiian Mandala. And I need to turn my pitiful web skills on updating our foundation site. It is really, really ugly. That, and getting ready for the foundation exhibition in California at the end of March, should keep me busy next month. Hope everyone had a great weekend and are re-energized for the week ahead.

5 comments:

Mindy said...

Kathryn,

I've been wondering where you got the Hawaiian Mandala. It's beautiful and I love both the colors and the design.

Mindy

Kathryn said...

The Hawaiian Mandala is from Chatelaine Designs in Europe. She has done many four quadrant designs such as Nights in Saint Petersburgh and Egyptian Garden. The designs are lovely, but I took it as a 12 month class and had to beg to get the last three sections. She closes the class and deletes the patterns once the class is finished. I was traveling at the time and missed downloading them. I won't take another class from her or buy another one of her patterns, though I also have an herb garden she designed and wanted to stitch her newest class Caribbean Mandala.

Doris said...

beautiful noël!
oh! the mandalas of chatelein , they are gorgoeus, and a big work, with a great amounto of colors.

drea_dear said...

Great work on Noel.

I've downloaded some of Chatelaine's freebies, but they are difficult to print. But her designs are so beautiful!

Craft-i-leigh said...

Hello. First timer from Massachusetts. I am new to the world of stitching and have been browsing various blogs to try and gain some knowledge and get some tips / ideas. I originally started with a stamped, then counted “kits”. I’m working on my 2nd chart and have noticed some big differences in floss types and quality.
My Cross Stitch Mentor has told me that I’m ready to graduate from Aida, but I really like Aida. Maybe it’s just beginner’s comfort???
If you would answer my question… What type of fabric or fabrics do you prefer and why? Brands and counts?
I would appreciate any advice, thanks!