Friday, March 6, 2009

Circles of Doom

When my nephew's daughter was born almost two years ago, I designed and made her this baby quilt, which she still uses. Her parents love the quilt and the two bibs I stitched. So there was some gentle hints that some bibs for their son (who was born January 1) would also be appreciated. When I saw this baby blanket kit on sale at Michael's before Christmas, I picked it up and thought that I would start it right away. I even took it to Maui, but cross stitch was calling to me more than this applique project. After I finished French Noel, I thought I better get moving on this project if I wanted to get it done before his first birthday. Boy, is it odd to stitch in hand without a frame. And the needle is sharp! Since the eye of the needle needs to fit up to six strands of thread at a time, the eye is also big. Which leads to the thread coming out of the eye at least a dozen times a thread. I will certainly practice my patience doing this.

The first thing that the kit asks you to do is to backstitch 52 circles. When the first couple turned out more like a sawtooth than a circle, I knew I would have to pace myself doing these silly circles or I would put this project down and not pick it up again. So I told myself if I finished the bubbles around the starfish, I could move on to the applique. Then came the satin stitch green circles on the starfish. Since these ended up more like drunken spider webs than circles, I was glad to see that the model satin circles where also a little less than round. I did a little better on the pink fin satin stitch and am really enjoying the applique stitches around the colored pieces of felt. There are no large projects that we need to finish next week, so I hope to finish and send this before we leave for San Francisco on the 24th. That is if I don't take scissors to the octopus who is covered in dozens of satin stitched circles. Next, up two smaller fish with satin stitched stripes. I think I can handle that. I hope everyone has a great weekend.

5 comments:

drea_dear said...

Wow. That's a lot of work! "I love you, nephew", LOL!

Donna said...

Very cute. But you had me worried with the title of the post.

Anna van Schurman said...

It's very cute. I think you're doing a great job!

Arthemise said...

That is so beautiful! Can you post the name and maker? I'd love to find this to make for my son.

Angela said...

It looks great, but sounds like an awful lot of work.