Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get

I am happy to have finished French Noel yesterday afternoon. It is quite lovely and will look stunning as a holiday pillow, but I could have finished it on Friday if I had been more careful about counting exactly where I was. I had to frog about three lengths of green threads when I found out I was one cross too far down or too far over. At least I didn't get too frustrated and set it aside again. This isn't a race. I don't need to have it done for any particular day. Now I have finished one Extra Credit goal for 2009. It's also nice to have a long time UFO done.

I'm not sure what stitching is next. Today we have been working on deciding the exhibition pieces for the Foundation show at the end of the month. The letters for all are printed (though we ran out of toner for the printer and will need to get some tomorrow to print the envelopes). My hairdresser, whose studio is in California but who has a house in Las Vegas, will come to our house tomorrow afternoon to cut and color my hair. A little unusual, but she has been doing my hair for decades. No one else that I have tried in Nevada even comes close.

On Tuesday, our architect will come by to discuss the interior elevations that he gave us on Friday. We have been cutting out little pieces of paper that represent pieces of furniture and laying them out on the blueprints to see if our furniture will fit in the new house. Most of the walls have been decided, but if we need to move a wall a couple of inches one way or the other, then we should do it now while it is still cheap. Once we start construction my mantra has been "No Change Orders". Changing your mind later is a waste of time and money. We have already hired a surveyor, a civil engineer (for the retaining walls), and a structural engineer (for the roof trusses). Our architect says that at the rate we are going we might be able to apply for a building permit in two months. Hooray! Since I live with these plans every day, I can already see ourselves living there.

By Wednesday, I should be working on another stitching project. I just don't know which one yet. I hope everyone has a productive week.

4 comments:

staci said...

Congrats on the beautiful finish! I can't wait to see your pillow!!!

Doris said...

congratulations for the finish noel,look great.

Sonda in OR said...

It's absolutely beautiful! I bet it will make a great pillow!

RuthB said...

Woo hoo! Congrats! Frogging aside, that's lovely.