Monday, May 4, 2009

Back to Mandala

First I want to salute anyone who has stitched a Chatelaine Design. With the acres of fabric I have left to fill, I can't imagine finishing this in less than three more years. When I picked it up again, I immediately remembered why I was so happy to put it down. Dozens of different variegated silks in confetti stitching, dozens of Jessica stitches, mountains of Rhodes stitches, stitching over one (at 36 count), half stitches in one thread followed by crosses with two threads, Silk Perle for the pineapple crowns that barely fits through the fabric, longstitching over much of the pineapple body and crown which I haven't even started and when the stitching is done, hundreds of beads and crystals to attach. I did end up frogging about a dozen stitches that were stitched in the wrong color green, but luckily it was in an empty space, so I didn't disturb any other threads. I was so distraught by the speciality stitches that I had to print out Part Three, just to see how complex that was. Ah, a few simple Algerians like the center section, but mostly rows and rows of cross stitch (and beads and longstitch). Not even much confetti.

Interestingly enough, after an hour or two I started to get into a rhythm and started to enjoy the colors and the patterns. And as many times as the silk slips out of my needle, I still love stitching with silk. Later this year I will start stitching Ink Circle’s Beautie Spotte which I have recharted for Vickie Clayton's hand dyed silk. I have finished most of the stitching on the bottom pineapple motif except for the crown. I will have to move the Q-snaps to get to the fabric I need for that. I'll also have to move the Q-Snaps to stitch the top pineapple motif. If I keep on at this rate, I might even have Part Two (except for beads) done by the end of the week and will move right into Part Three. Part Three is four large volcanoes between the pineapples. If I get one volcano done, I might go back to Three Gables for a little rest. (Bark, Bark, and more Bark).

Although I miss my husband who is in Maui this week, I do appreciate the ability to pick my stitching up whenever I want to. That freedom will decline when he comes back, as we will be back working on materials for the new house. I thought I might get in a little sewing this week, but I am so happy stitching, that I don't know if I will drag the sewing machine out this week.

13 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow, that's beautiful!

Angela said...

It's stunning.

Holly said...

I hear ya on the Chatelaines... I have two going at the moment... but they are so beautiful!

I love the colors on this one - beautiful stitching!

Doris said...

amaizing colors ans stitches, i like the look of the chatelaines. is a beautiful and complex work.

Sharon said...

It is a stunner!

Daffycat said...

Kathryn, it's gorgeous! I have one Chatelaine in my to-do-box but it makes my stomach drop to think about starting it!

I hear you on having the time to yourself this week. It's enjoyable for short periods. I say stitch away!

Anna van Schurman said...

Good to get in a rhythm when you're facing a big, complicated project. It's lovely.

Dawn said...

It looks fantastic!!

Giovanna said...

What a beautiful project this is - and your stitching is perfect! I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Chiloe said...

Waow!!! It may be tedious but the details are stunning !!! It's simply beautiful!

RuthB said...

I'm sorry it's such a pain, but it is STUNNING. I suppose this makes Chatelaine a "never again" sort of design. :)

Sonda in OR said...

It is so beautiful, though. That is one of the designs I am contemplating for my first Chatelaine.

Von said...

I've never stitched a Chatelaine design, but so greatly admire those who do! Your stitching is exquisite, Kathryn.