Thursday, May 28, 2009

No Stitching Here

No panic, please. Yes, I have been stitching on Three Gables, but this post is about our past trip to San Francisco and not about stitching. You will get a picture of my progress on Three Gables tomorrow. First I want to show off my bounty from my favorite place in San Francisco, the Saturday Market at Ferry Plaza. Unfortunately it has been a cool and rainy spring, so no Frog Hollow apricots, early peaches or heirloom tomatoes yet. We did try some other apricots, but although they were juicy, they were not as sweet and flavorsome as we would like. There should be some good ones in a couple of weeks. Still there is plenty of other goodies. We usually pick up some Redwood Hill goat cheese, some Cowgirl Creamery cheese and some Primavera mole sauce and tortilla chips, but not this time. This was a trip for food we could take back to Nevada -- Fatted Calf Bacon and Duck Mousse, June Taylor syrups and candied Bergamont peel, our favorite Rancho Gordo fresh dried beans (delicious!), some corn meal pizza crusts, and lemon/herb olive oil. I'm going to cook with the beans, pizzas, and olive oil next week when it is my week to cook.

The other totally cool thing we did was visit the Computer History Museum. One of our friends, Chris Garcia, works there and offered to show us around. At 2 pm most afternoons they have a demonstration of a working Babbage Difference Engine, one of only two in the world. Babbage never collected enough money to actually build it while he was alive. It is powered by a hand crank on the right hand side and actually prints out a book of solutions to quadratic equations on the left hand side. It's a beautiful and fascinating machine. They also have a lot of computers I have worked on from PDP-8's to original Apple Macs and the first removeable disk drives "cake boxes" from IBM. I always enjoy seeing Doug Englebart's first mouse and five key ASCII entry device. I got a personal demonstration from him in the 70s, but could barely remember one ASCII code and he was typing 100 letters a minute. I'm glad that my computer today has a regular keyboard.

And of course we looked for things for the new house: sinks, bathtubs, and rock slabs. I don't think we will find another slab as full of fossils as the Eutruscan Fossil slab I had a picture of. That slab is reserved for someone else. So at the moment we are thinking about making the bar top in glass from Glassic Art. More stitching pictures tomorrow, I promise.

4 comments:

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip with lots of yummy and interesting things. CJ ok;-)

Anna van Schurman said...

I love those Cowgirls. Red Hawk is a favorite--and I just picked up a chunk at DiBruno's. Mmmm...smelly cheese. (The people on the bus loved me, I'm sure.)

mainely stitching said...

Yummy, yummy slurp-slurp findings at the market. Mmmm.

Meari said...

What a neat trip, Kathryn. The computer museum sounds really interesting!