Sunday, May 10, 2009

One Motif Done

First let me thank all the wonderful commenters. I'm glad you can appreciate this design, because it sure feels like a PhD in linen stitching to me! Yes, I have finished one of the four motifs in Part Two, on the right side. I started stitching some of the black borders when I simply couldn't face another Rhodes stitch or Jessica. I then decided to go ahead and try the long stitching over the pineapple. Even with the pattern enlarged to 400%, there seems to be stitches everywhere. But the gold metallic over the pineapple body is actually a pretty easy pattern and went very quickly. The black silk over the silk perle crown, not so much. The diagram is hard to read and putting the black silk in between all the thick silk perle can be painful. But now that I know I can finish this up and move to Part Three, I am certainly motivated.

Although those black borders are in Part Two, I will probably only do the stitching near the pineapple crowns. I don't want to stitch hundreds of black crosses into the distance and find out I am off by one stitch. It makes more sense to stitch the corners with Part Three that sits under that border. I have everything in Motif Two, bottom, finished except the crown and partial border, but I will need to move the Q-snaps to get to that part of the fabric. First I am working on getting Motif Three, left side, done. I started the silk perle crown last night, but gave up after a few stitches. It's hard enough to do this thick perle over two, but over one is almost insane. But I did finish Motif One, so I know that this is not impossible. Once Motif Three is finished, I will rotate the Q-Snaps and finish Motifs Two and Four. I didn't finish this completely this week, but when they are all done, I can start on the volcanoes in the corners.

I didn't get out my sewing machine this week, but I did do some hand sewing and mending. In fact, I washed boatloads of laundry, reorganized my closet to put my summer clothes up front, and took two bags of barely worn (and now too big) clothes to the donation box for Safe Nest. I always have huge plans when my husband is gone for a few days, but rarely accomplish them all. I picked him up at the airport this morning and he is crashed out for a few hours. He doesn't mind flying a red eye flight from Maui, but it always makes me groggy for a couple of days. Both our mothers got our Mother's Day flowers, so all is right in the world. I hope everyone has a productive week. I know I will.

8 comments:

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

It's looking beautiful and now that you have one of the sections done the other three should move quickly. :-)

I think it's interesting that Martina designs the patterns but no one stitches them until someone from the class or who purchased the pattern completes a project. Then you can see what it really looks like.

I've been interested in stitching one of these for a while but wasn't too sure if I wanted to tackle something this huge. So I kitted up one of her free patterns, the Christmas Tree Mandala which I'm going to start on this summer after school is over. Should be fun! :-)

I also never get as much done as I think I'm going to when I have some free time. I guess that's because I'm an optimist and I always think that I can finish up a project quicker than I can! LOL!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Dawn said...

It looks beautiful!!!

Chiloe said...

I enlarged and it's even more stunning !!! I really admire you for stitching it ;-)

Tracy said...

Beautiful!

Donna said...

One of these days, I'm going to stitch one of Martina's patterns. But for now I'm content to admire yours.

Doris said...

i love it!, is a wonderful work,compllex,hard to do,but so beautiful.

maxine said...

What a beautiful work of art! When I put my reader glasses on I was really able to see the intense stitch work. Fabulous job!

disa said...

I love it ! Very creative ! That's actually really cool Thanks.