Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Enough?

Here are a few more squares in Postcard from Paradise. It is interesting that I was going to say that I wished I had stitched a few more interiors. There is a lovely wave pattern next to the unfinished A that I want to stitch in Rainbow Gallery Petite Treasure Braid. And speaking of that A, yup, it is unfinished.

But then I started to think about how much is enough? Why should I be disappointed in what I didn't stitch, when four years ago I hadn't stitched much of anything for decades? I understand these are not great works of art, but what are they? Why am I stitching at all? Well part of it is the gentle repetition of the needle through the fabric. Especially in a piece like this with lots of straight repetitive stitches, you can stitch for hours while barely glancing at the chart. Then there is the feel of the fabric and the colors of the thread. Not to mention the pattern that develops under your fingers. All of these actions are soothing, especially for someone who loves color and pattern. And with every piece I learn something. I learn what I like about certain threads and fabrics and stitching techniques. I learn about composition and white space and backgrounds and color values. Maybe it is just a hobby and I will continue to refreshed and relaxed by stitching. And maybe I will someday take off in other artistic directions, but buoyed by these explorations in color and pattern.

4 comments:

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Absolutely enough, and it's always fun. CJ ok;-)

Mel said...

I think we all stitch for different reasons but most of us can agree that it's because it's relaxing! :)
Alphabet is looking great.

Dani - tkdchick said...

That is going to be so cute!

Great words there, that's how I feel too!

Coni said...

I think anytime you spend doing something you love is enough! So repeat after me when you wonder if you're stitching fast enough or enough/enough:

"If I knew it was a race I'd have worn better footwear."