Saturday, August 22, 2009

Look, SHINY!

Please don't worry. I haven't given up on Postcard from Paradise, but I finally got the four different colors of red sorted out on Bowled Over and I have all the beads in neat little color coordinated piles on the dining room table, so I just couldn't resist putting in a few stitches. Doesn't this look better with the band of red beads? This is no longer a traveling project as all that I have left is beading.

Yes, there are some cross stitches between the beads, but all the thread colors left are used for beading. This pattern does have another band of red underneath the bowls. You probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two reds used in the band, but I will stitch it as charted.

As I was stitching this I wondered if anyone else used the color code chart to sort their threads? I have been doing this for decades with kits that have a limited number of threads and a chart with room to park the threads on the side. I use a large needle to "thread" the paper. I make sure that the thread is anchored in the middle with the same amount of thread on the front and back. This technique works with stitches that are two ply. Since these are not variegated threads, all I have to do is pull a single threads from the paper (pulling on the middle of the thread) and I end up with a doubled thread that is approximately ready to be put in a stitching needle and started with a loop start. I no longer have to guess which red is which or if this thread is medium yellow or light yellow. You do have to be sure to keep these long tails untangled from time to time. But I can coil them up and put them between the folded paper and stick them in their project bag.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Ooh, how pretty!

Donna said...

You must know I can't resist shiny...

Chiloe said...

I love the red !!!

With your threads on the papers: the paper doesn't get torn when you use them a lot?

pink said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Angela said...

Love the beads on this.

Great idea with the threads.

Mindy said...

I honestly never thought of that way of organizing my threads but that's wonderful! I can't wait to try it out on some of the smaller projects I have. I could see it being problematic for larger pieces though.

I can't wait to find a project with beads because it looks like a fun way to add color and interest to a piece.

RuthB said...

Oooo, shiny AND pretty! Love it :)