Monday, August 24, 2009

Progress...But No Finish

I might have slightly burnt myself out on this project. Yes, I stitched like a wild woman, but I'm not sure I want to see it again for a while. I started out with over twenty unfinished boxes and have only twelve left to finish. Some of them could be finished with just a couple of stitches (the sea horse between 4 and 5 and the palm tree at the bottom left corner). Others (the personalization box between W and X) will take a lot longer.

And it is not the boxes that are slowing me down, but the border. Yes, it is lovely. Yes, I have stitched over half of it. But it takes over a half hour just to stitch one length of thread and that barely crosses two boxes. I have part of the bottom border to finish, part of the top border, and ALL of the right border. I'm being good about stitching in the boxes and then in the border, but I will finish the boxes long before the border is stitched.

Thank you for your comments on Bowled Over. Maybe I'll go back to that and stitch a few more beads. No, I have never had problems with the paper tearing. Paper is stronger than cloth. I guess I am just careful to pull on a single thread and hold the paper. No, I wouldn't try this with a lot of threads or a chart where I couldn't put all the threads in the margin right next to the symbol. But I have used this technique with dozens of small projects (all the plastic Christmas ornaments), so I know it works for me. I'm so jazzed about stitching with beads, I even went to Michael's today looking for a box to store the leftover beads and bought some more Mill Hills on sale. Unfortunately I didn't find any boxes small enough for Mill Hill seed beads. I have a wonderful set of teeny, tiny interlocking boxes called a Bead Nest (I thought), but I can't find anything like that on the interwebs. I might have to settle for something larger.

7 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Nothing to do with boxes or beads, but Cricket Collection has a new chart showing the inside of your haunted house, "Open House". (I like your outside better, personally.) Thought you'd like to know.

RuthB said...

I'm sorry it's getting you down, but it is lovely. I too would get annoyed with such a slow border despite how pretty it is.

Angela said...

It looks great.

Keep going with the border it will be worth it.

Mindy said...

As annoying as that border is to stitch, it looks really beautiful.

Just wondering, what are you going to do with it when it's finished? Frame it?

Pumpkin said...

OH! You are SOOOOO close to being done! You can do it :o) You can!

Daffycat said...

Beautiful progress! You are so close to a finish ~ woo!

Go to the post below to see how I organized my Mill Hill beads...maybe it will work for you...

http://itsdaffycat.blogspot.com/2008/03/beads.html

Jennifer said...

I like these little Tic Tac type boxes for storing seed beads. http://www.beadsbydee.com/Catalog/BeadStorage.html

I bought mine in the craft section at WalMart