Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Turning the Corner

Hooray for DMC 4030! If I was stitching the boring Crescent Colours Blue Beatrice for the inner border, I know I would have given up by now. But I love, love, love the variegations in DMC 4030 so much that even though the stitch is tedious, the result never is. I also want to give a shout out to Rainbow Gallery's Petite Treasure Braids -- PH02 (Silver High Gloss) for the sunglasses and camera, PB09 for the waves and the ocean near the lighthouse, PB27 for the anchor (a little darker than PH02), and PB57 for the palm tree fronds in the corners. These little bits of shiny have made this a much more fun piece. If you think you hate stitching with metallics because you have only tried that too stiff DMC, you really should try Rainbow Gallery. You still have to loop it through your needle eye so that it won't slip off, but other than that I think it stitches just like cotton. I was asked what I would do with this once it was finished. It's certainly too big for a flatfold or ornament. It's way too fragile for a pillow, so I plan on framing it with some sort of rough white washed frame and hang it in the Maui house. Although I have been trying to stitch more border than inner squares, I need to finish the shell and the lighthouse on the bottom row so that I can move the Q-Snaps and finish the border on the top right hand side. I guess it looks like I will finish this and not let it become a UFO.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Pleased to see the border hasn't got your down too much and we can soon look forward to seeing this finished.

Cindy said...

It's looking great, and you don't have too much more to stitch :)

I have become acquainted with a few more of the Rainbow Gallery threads recently. Some are a bit goofy to stitch with (like Frosty Rays!), but most are fabulous!

Judy Bemis said...

cheers for finished projects, which this certainly looks like it will be one of.

mcsewing said...

Rainbow Gallery just went on my wish list :) Looks good!

Coni said...

Woo Hoo, you! I wait with breath that is bated for the approaching Happy Dance!

(This is going to look fabulous framed....)