Monday, August 3, 2009

Why This May Become A UFO

I feel a little self conscious saying this because the designer of this piece left a comment on my last post. Is she upset that I changed out the threads or made negative comments about the threads she chose? I hope not, since this is a lovely design and I see other designs on her blog (especially a new Halloween one) that I want to stitch. Well, once again I have changed out a thread. The Fishbone Stitch between the two cross stitched borders is done in my current favorite thread, DMC 4030 (Monet's Garden Colour Variations) which I also used on Quaker Flower Sampler. I think it picks up the colors in the rest of design very well. I usually like different stitches on a cross stitch piece. However, the Fishbone Stitch itself is rather fiddly on such a small count linen. I already made a couple of errors in the border by stitching it over four threads rather then three. I am starting to try to compensate by adding a few more over four chevron legs so that it will end with an "up" leg at the other corner. I have been more careful stitching it on the left side and so far have kept the count. But the Fishbone Stitch is not fun or easy to stitch, so I can see myself setting Postcard from Paradise aside in favor of other more straight forward cross stitch. With just two days left before we leave, I want to finish all the boxes, but if I do that, I'll only have the Fishbone Stitch left. I've been trying to stitch some Fishbone Stitches between boxes, but if I keep doing that I won't have the boxes done before we leave. Do you stitch the parts of a design that you don't like first (color or pattern or thread)? Or do you do some less happy stitching between all the other stitching? Or do you leave unhappy stitching for last? (And if you do leave it for last, do you finish it or set it aside?) I seem to get tired of a pattern and just put it down rather than quitting at a difficult part, but I am sure there are some projects that I did put down when I ran out of a thread or got tired of Jessica Stitches.

9 comments:

Angela said...

I sort of have this problem with the metallic threads in Celtic Autumn. At times I find them frustrating to work with and there are a lot of them in the project. To get round it I always try to do some stitching with the metallics first and them move onto other parts of the project after. I can then enjoy working on the project knowing I'm not going to be leaving myself with the only the frustrating part at the end.

Chiloe said...

How neat the designer let a message on your blog ;-) For the threads, once we buy the chart or kit, we are free, aren't we? I hate aida and have to change the fabric in most of my kit.

Have fun in Canada !!! (lucky you ;-) )

Jane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

If I leave the stitching I don't like until last, the piece will never get done. I usually treat stitches I don't like the same as vegetables on my plate. I make sure to eat them first so there's a good serving of my favorites left at the end of the meal.
Jane
(sorry about the typos.)

Anna van Schurman said...

I try to alternate the things I don't want to do with colors/parts/stitches that I do want to do. If I left it til the end, things would never get done around here. Oh, wait. They don't. ;)

BRD Girl said...

Kathryn - this is your piece and it should be enjoyable! With many supplies being hand-dyed these days, it is almost impossible to match the colors of the original...different dyelots produce different shades - it is almost expected that colors changes have to made. It should have the colors and the stitches you like and enjoy - afterall, isn't this hobby supposed to be fun?! I say, make the piece your own - use the colors and stitches you like...and work at your own pace. I love it when needleworkers are creative and unique...and I have enjoyed reading about your progress - the good and the bad. I am thrilled you are working on one of my designs - and I hope you find the colors and stitches that work best for YOU...

Pumpkin said...

That was a very lovely comment that the designer left :o) I wish a designer would visit my Blog! LOL!

I can see your point but don't give up! It is good to take a break in between if you don't enjoy stitching it. Maybe reward yourself for doing a certain length of section. I usually just plow through ;o)

Dani - tkdchick said...

You know a lot of designers I've talked to seem to be happy or don't mind when we change things up. Sometimes they see our colour changes as an improvement, as they are often stuck with the vision they have in their head until they see us do something differnt.

Sorry I'm not able to hook up with you in Montreal!

Sonda in OR said...

I'm with Angela, I try to work out getting some of my least favorite stitches out of the way early. Your project is really looking great with the changes. I like the designer's take on things...personal changes are a part of stitching any design! It really gets to be fun when we get the courage to change things up.