Monday, September 14, 2009

One Week and One Day

That's how much longer we will be in Maui. We leave for the mainland again a week from Wednesday. Is it enough time to finish all the cross stitch on Three Gables? Possibly. Especially considering that my husband is involved in the Maui Photo Festival and will be gone with our only car for at least two days. I might drop him off and pick him up one of the three days, but not the morning he is planning to leave for a shoot at Haleakela at 3 a.m.! I did work on some Bark on the middle gable and on the right side of the door last night. I wanted to save the trickier bits for better lighting.

I got absolutely no stitching done in Oahu. If we were not tromping around Lyon Arboretum in Manoa Valley we were eating tasty food from the high (Chef's Mavro's incredible 15 course tasting menu) to the low (Giovanni's Shrimp Truck in Kahuku). Literally the highest point in this vacation came via a Stearman Biplane out of Dillingham Field. It's an open cockpit plane with room for only one passenger and the pilot. My husband wanted to try this for his birthday, even though he doesn't have the best stomach for flying. At least he didn't go for the acrobatic tour! Instead we separately took the Sacred Falls tour that travels the North Shore coast, inland to Sacred Falls, over the Polynesian Village at Laie, the shrimp farms at Kahuku and Turtle Bay Resort.

Yes, the scenery below was wonderful, but I can't begin to describe how amazing it is to fly in an open cockpit plane. You feel just like a bird. I spent as much time looking at clouds and the horizon as I did the land and sea below.

Ten Book Reading Challenge: I have finished my first book, The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff. Yes, I read quickly and didn't spend much time doing anything else but reading yesterday. I hope everyone has a productive and interesting week.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You're cruising along on Three Gables, so I think that's a reasonable goal.

I would definitely not volunteer for chauffeur service at 3 AM!

Sounds like you're having a fabulous time :)

mainely stitching said...

Your flying experience sounds SO marvelous! What an adventure. :D

And it's great to see Three Gables again. I just love this project.