Friday, October 23, 2009

More Xs and /s

This is the middle part of stitching. Progress, but nothing really finished. I am wandering all over the chart as I stitch a needle full of one color. And there are some holes because there are colors that aren't stitched again until I get to the top, bottom, or the extreme left of the chart. I think I am going to stitch a bit of the upper portion of the chart for a while because it has less quarter stitches and more bands of the same color.

Meanwhile I am behind in reporting my Ten Book Reading Challenge.

  1. A lovely urban fantasy by a Canadian writer who I have been reading for a long time.
  2. The Defector by Daniel Silva
    A spy thriller about Israeli agents working in Russia. Very well written and thoughtful.
  3. Finding Oz: How L. Frank Baum Discovered the Great American Story by Evan I. Schwartz
    A biography of L. Frank Baum. I learned to read by using the Wizard of Oz books, so I had hoped to learn a little about the author. There is some biography here, but there is more modern psychobabble that is completely annoying. I really dislike when current writers insist on subscribing contemporary motives to people who lived hundreds of years ago.
  4. Darker Angels (The Black Sun's Daughter, Book 2) by M.L.N. Hanover
    I loved this author's science fiction quartet. The first book of this dark urban fantasy was choppy and confusing, but this one was quite good. I read it in a day.
  5. Science Fiction: The Best of the Year, 2006 Edition, Editor, Rich Horton
    A short story anthology with many wonderful stories that I had read before and several weak stories that are better off buried.
  6. A Better Angel: Stories by Chris Adrian
    An advanced reading copy of a short story collection by a pediatric surgeon. Some stories take place in hospitals, some feature damaged children. Well written, but a bit repetitive.
  7. Friday by Robert A. Heinlein
    An old favorite that I took down from the bookshelf while waiting for an Amazon order to arrive.
  8. Transition by Iain M. Banks
    A weak and confusing effort by my once favorite science fiction author.
  9. Julian Comstock : a story of 22nd-century America by Robert Charles Wilson
    A post apocalyptic novel of politics and war. Unexpectedly charming.
  10. The Closing of the American Mind by Allan Bloom
    I am not quite finished with this dense philosophical treaty on the basis of American thought and culture. Very interesting, but not for the faint of intellect.


3 comments:

Mel said...

Great progress! :)
I also like Tanya Huff... and I like supporting fellow Canadians. Glad to see her on your list.

MarchAnn58 said...

Love the shells, its starting to look like shells too.
Are these the books on your list to read or have you finished them all. Woo hoo some heavy reading in there.

Adrienne Martini said...

I'm still not sure how I feel about *Transition.* There was some stuff to like, certainly, but would I have even finished it if it wasn't by Banks? I don't know.

I need to get a copy of Comstock, tho. Heard good things about it.