Sunday, October 4, 2009

Stepping Into Darkness

Thought for the future: Don't try to separate threads from a kit under bad fluroescent lighting, especially the lighting in the Red Carpet Club at LAX. As I was working on the mixing bowl, I was confused by how dark it was compared to the picture on the front of the package. There also seemed to be only two shades of grey, rather than the three I was expecting. Did they pack the wrong threads in the kit? Were the shades of grey too close?

In search of the answers, I pulled out the three DMC colors called for in the kit and compared them with what I was sewing with. Oops. I misidentified all three colors. First I thought the Light Grey (762) was actually a thread of white. They are pretty close in value except under strong sunlight. Then I picked a random thread of Medium Grey (415) and decided that must be Light Grey. I even started stitching with it for my first 22 stitches. That left me with Dark Grey (318) as both Medium Grey and Dark Grey. And it left me with a duotone mixer. Sigh. To frog or not? It's not as if this is for a competition or EGA Guild Challenge. But like most of you, I had to fix it. Even if I am the only one who ever sees it, I still couldn't live with having it this far wrong. But it has slowed down my stitching mojo. Only today do I have all the wrong threads (most of the mixer except the real Dark Grey) frogged. Luckily all the grey beads were stitched with Dark Grey, so I did not have to frog them. And I did not even attempt to separate the red threads until I did have good sunlight to do it in, so all of the rest of the stitching is good.

I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to stitch this week. We met with our contractor last Thursday and we will be back talking to vendors this week; the pool guys tomorrow and the hardwood flooring people on Wednesday. It is also my week to cook and I am completely uninspired. Wednesday evening James flies to San Francisco until Saturday evening. Maybe stitching will occur at the end of the week.

4 comments:

Chiloe said...

I hate that when it happens: I even stopped my treasure time by Dimensions because I think I have a mistake in the colors. I need to check everyhting again AND change the fabric because I don't like aida at all ...

I love your new start, hope you can re stitch it the right way. I usually take at least one day to frog because I hate doing that ...

Good luck for the cooking : I'm so bad at it ...

RuthB said...

Dang, I hate it when my light (or lack thereof, conspires against me. I do think that the folks kitting these projects up delight in picking colors so close as to be indistinguishable where there's only a strand of them in the pack. I can just see them giggling fiendishly to each other.

May stitching happiness and food inspiration arrive to you miraculously.

Meari said...

I had that exact same thing happen to me, except with pinks. Glad you got it worked out.

Dani - tkdchick said...

What an absolute exercise in frustration! Like you I would have to rip it all out too. It would just bother me wayyy too much!