Saturday, December 5, 2009

Yes, Things Are BIGGER in Texas



I have to thank Anna and Jane for pointing me to these two fabulous needlework shops.  First I hunted down Ginger's Needlarts, Quilts & Framing. 



You do have to do a bit of searching to find them.  They are in Cameron Village just north of 51st Street, but I passed them the first time and had to swing around again to find them.



Yes, they do have a bit of quilting materials, but mostly they have dozens and dozens of models and hundreds and hundreds of patterns. I have to admit I bought several patterns just because I saw their lovely models. They don't have a website yet, but they do ship via mail order if you call them and ask them if they have a particular pattern in stock. The clerks there are quite knowledgeable and can probably tell you if they have a pattern right over the phone. If they don't have it at the moment they are quite willing to tell customers where they could check for the pattern or supply online.  They also have a good selection of fabric and threads and hundreds of buttons and beads. In the back is a huge classroom where they also have open stitching nights.



But I couldn't leave Austin without checking out The Needle Works. Again it is huge, but tucked away in back of a funky southwestern mall.  (Look for the Frost ATM sign with the 1206 address.)  It is a truly fabulous needlepoint store. They might not have as many canvases as I've seen in other stores (but then again they were also having a 35% off sale, so many canvases could have gone home with someone else before I got there.) However, they have the most complete collection of threads I have ever seen.  Needlepoint Inc. and Gloriana silks, all the Rainbow Gallery lines, Renaissance and Dinky Dyes, and of course, hundreds of colors of wool.  I really wish that I lived closer so that I could take a class in their fabulous classroom where there is plenty of room to spread out and daylight lamps for all.

So what did I buy?  Ah, you will have to wait until next week to see that. 

5 comments:

mainely stitching said...

Yeehaw, needlework cowgirl!

Arthemise said...

Ginger's is my LNS, though it's not as close as I'd like. I haven't been to the Needle Works yet.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Yes, I do recall that from living in Texas, things really are bigger there!

Pumpkin said...

Oh wow! Make me want to go to a real NS ;o)

RuthB said...

Yea! You made it!!!!!! I'm terribly jealous, but so happy that you got well enough to travel. :)