Wednesday, January 13, 2010

An Arm And A Leg

 The left arm and leg are done. I am quite happy with the colors and textures that I chose for this cat, even though they do not exactly match the colors painted on the canvas. In several spots I went for a softer shade (especially the bright pink paws).  This is actually my stitching done by Sunday.  I have since started on the other leg and the left wing.  Since I spent more time concentrating on the color of the thread rather than the weight, I am happy to find that the pearl silks I chose actually fit on 18 count mesh.  I'd like to start on some of the green background, but want to finish the brown (which I changed to brown gray) shading around the cat first before starting the green.  I've been pretty careful to stitch from an empty hole to a filled one in most cases.

This is a picture of our ship, Seabourn Odyssey, docked in Cartagena, Columbia. It's a pretty big boat, but only carries 450 passengers. The previous Seabourn ships we have sailed on only carry 210 passengers with about as many crew as passengers. I can't say that bigger is better. On the smaller ships the crew knows your name and preferences in about a day. There might not be a coffee bar with a gigantic espresso machine, but the food was much better. Still there is everything from caviar to lobster to steak at every meal. The alcohol is endless, the staterooms are large with a tub and a shower in the bathroom.  Still there are no comfy chairs with good lighting to stitch.  Even the upper bar area where I stitched on other ships is glassed with dark, dark glass here.  I haven't stitched near as much as I thought I would, but on the other hand I have been getting plenty of sleep and reading. Tomorrow we land in Guatemala, then two ports in Mexico and finally Los Angeles.

Grrr. I hate this new version of Blogger. I can't seem to get the second pictures and text to line up next to each other no matter what I do. Maybe it is time to check out another blogging platform. OK, modified the HTML to make it work, but I really shouldn't have to do this.

2 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Oh, I like the color changes you made. Much more realistic to the color of a cat :o)

Hope you're having a good time on your trip even though you're not getting as much stitching in as you thought you would.

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

I like what you've done with the Angel Cat and now I'm curious as to what you are going to do with the fish. :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow