Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Back to Cross Stitch

It's been fun working on Angel Cat, but it's also fun to move on to another project.  While the seas were calm I started back on Lil' Cupcake, the fourth Mill Hill Kitchen Design from Debbie Mumm.  I must have been particularly motivated to stitch so much of the white frosting as stitching in white is my least favorite stitching.  This was my progress as of Monday. Now I have both the chocolate and vanilla frosting done and most of the cupcake holder.  This design is much smaller than the toaster or the mixer, so they make it up in a deeper band of random green and white at the bottom.  That's going to take me a while.

Monday was my favorite day on the cruise.  We stopped at Cabo San Lucas.  The weather was perfect, sunny with a gentle breeze.  The Sea of Cortez was smooth as glass.  We got up and got on a snorkeling boat to see the fish at Santa Maria Bay.  I even had my special mask with the lens inserts for my prescription, so I could see the fish.  While we were motoring to the snorkeling spot we saw several whales (and their babies), some as close as 15 yards.  The water was a bit chilly for me (who likes my bathwater lobster boiling temperature), but I got used to it pretty quickly.  There were a lot of fish I recognized from Hawaii and some that were quite different.  Lots of people (passengers and crew) remarked how much they liked Cabo and were looking to come back again.

Now we are back on the Pacific Ocean headed for Los Angeles and the seas are full of giant swells.  No real white caps, but you can feel the motion of the ocean.  Our suitcases are laid out on the bed and have to be outside our door tonight by 11 pm.  It's been a restful cruise, but I will be glad to be home.  Even though I can get tasty food 24/7 on the boat, it's always the small things I miss, like potato chips and Mexican food.  The cooks are all Europeans, so the Weinerschnitzel is delicious as is the Saltimbocca, but don't ask for peanut butter and jelly.  Though I would gladly take our cabin stewardess home with me.  Fresh towels twice a day (and fresh sheets on the bed) are truly heavenly.

2 comments:

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

Sounds wonderful! Especially since they are predicting snow and ice again this Friday for our area. :-(

Isn't it funny what we miss when we aren't on our normal routines? Little things like peanut butter and jelly or our own pillows. :-)

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Carolyn McNeil said...

Luv the cupcake! It's making me hungry...You'll probably miss the relaxing cruise when you're home, just as you missed home while on your relaxing cruise...Human nature, I guess...
Keep Stitchin'...
Carolyn
http://www.stitchopedia.com
An encyclopedia of needlepoint stitches…