Saturday, January 2, 2010

A New Start, New Goals

It's appropriate that I start the new year with a canvas project.  I have a number of canvas projects that I totally ignored last year, so this is the Year of Canvas.  This is a lovely project with great colors and exact painting.  No guessing whether a stitch is one color or another.  It took me a lot longer to decide what thread to use where, than it did to stitch the middle part that I did stitch.  That is one of the joys of canvas -- there are so many threads to choose from.  So far I have used Appleton wool, Caron's Snow (the sparkly red heart), RG Cashmere, RG Neon Rays, RG Splendor, and RG Tweedie.  The green background will be all Gloriana.

Which is not to say that I am abandoning cross stitch altogether.  I still have several WiPs to finish, especially Tranquilty (The Shells) and the Under the Sea applique project for my nephew's son.  I need to finish that blanket before he is too big to use it.  I also want to concentrate on some recent purchases like Prairie Moon's Crypt Club patterns.  As Renée said, goals are just that.  Something to focus on, but not something to beat yourself over the head with.  So here are my goals for 2010.
  1. Start and Finish Angel Cat.
  2. Finish Bucilla’s Tranquility (The Shells).
  3. Finish Under the Sea.
  4. Finish Pineapple Fish.
  5. Finish Red and Black Box needlepoint.
  6. Finish Lil' Cupcake.
  7. Start and finish I'm Jammin'.
  8. Start and finish Easy As Pie.
  9. Finish Michael Powell’s Cottage Garden.
  10. Finish Bothy's Cut Thru Rocket.
  11. Finish Parts 3, 4, and 5 of Hawaiian Mandala.
  12. Start Ink Circle’s Beautie Spotte. (I have the threads for it, just need to order some fabric.)
  13. Sewing:
       One apron for my mother-in-law.
       Piece the top of Zig Zag quilt for the guest room
       One purse from my collection of bag patterns.
       Finish my husband's flamingo shirt.
       One piece of clothing for me.
       Make something with the pig cloth I collected for my sister-in-law.
       Make something with the cow cloth I collected for my niece.
 Extra credit:
  1. Start Crypt Club.
  2. Start Merry Cryptmas.
  3. Start Hang Ten.
  4. Start Teresa Wentzler’s Celestial Dragon.  (This should only take four or five years!  LOL!)
There are no really small projects, no Christmas ornaments, no flatfolds.  I guess I will never stitch 50 projects in one year.  I might do a couple of more Bent Creek sheep, especially if we fly a lot next year.  My husband and I got married because we wanted to drive his VW van from Timbuktu to Morocco.  We never did that, but we do have a strong case of wanderlust, even living in New Zealand for two years. 

Yes, I am waiting to finish all the Kitchen Collection before I frame them in matching (or contrasting) frames.  I'm also going to frame Rouge comme... similarly.  They will be all be hung in the hallway between the garage and the kitchen in the new house.  I have a few other food related cross stitch projects that I might hang there eventually.

5 comments:

Pumpkin said...

That is going to be so neat! I've never tried one of those. Mostly because the canvases are so expensive. I look forward to seeing this one develop :o)

Nic said...

Good luck with your goals!

Bette said...

I love the canvas you're working on. It should turn out relly darling. That's an impressive list of goals. Good luck with accomplising them.

Jeanne said...

Happy New Year, Kathryn!

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on the new canvas.

And as for stitching 50 projects in one year, would you really want to? I mean, what would you do with 50 small finished pieces? Of course, I prefer larger projects, and usually only do something (frame, make into something, etc.) with about 1/3 of them!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Kathryn, one of my higlights of 2009 was getting to meet you! It finally turned out that we were in the same city at the same time! Just too bad we couldn't have a nice long visit!

That canvas cat is going to be just adorable and the threads you've got sound devine!!!

Goals are just goals you're right they just help us get our thoughts in order, really.

I'd love to SAL Celestial Dragon with you!

Happy New Year!