Thursday, February 4, 2010

Do You Ever Feel Guilty

about a project you promised to stitch, but didn't?  I felt guilty about Angel Cat.  I brought her all the way to southern California last weekend and didn't add a single stitch.  Admittedly we drove for over eight hours (over four hours there and back), went to two meetings, and did a hotel tour.  But really, couldn't I have snuck in a few stitches instead of surfing the net and finishing a book?  OK, I finished the book by reading it in the bathtub -- not the best environment for stitching.  But I was feeling guilty, so I spent the last couple of days stitching poor Angel Cat, mostly yesterday.

While stitching, I realized two things. First, this is going to take me a lot longer to finish than I thought it would. The cat was relatively easy to stitch; lots of blocks of similar colors and easy to stitch wool thread. The background is all Gloriana Princess Perle. Lots of confetti stitching and the thread is harder to pull when there is a lot of thread on the back of the canvas. Second, even though I bought two skeins of Granny Smith perle for the medium green of the background, I am going to run out of thread. I guess I wasn't thinking about how much 10 yards of perle would cover. I am so used to using stranded cotton or silk that I forgot that perle isn't separable. Ten yard is just ten yards.  At least it is a variable thread, so even if I can't match the dye lot exactly, I hope other skeins will still come close.

For all the kind people who left comments on my blogoversary post, THANK YOU!  I've added some new blogs to my Google Reader.  I am feeling better over the past two days, but I have a bunch of things that I need to catch up with.  Should I put Angel Cat away for a while and bring back Tranquility (The Shells) as I promised myself I would do?  Or will I just continue with Angel Cat and wait until I have plenty of stitching time in Maui starting the 14th for Tranquility (The Shells)(I think the cat is going to stay in rotation until we leave.)

5 comments:

MarchAnn58 said...

The cat is going to be a lot of work but it is going to be so worth it. I love the design.

RuthB said...

I feel guilty all the time... :) Why do you suppose we promise eternal vigilance and happiness to our stitching projects? If this was a marriage we'd all be up for Unfaithful Spouse of the Year awards.

BTW, on the perle it wasn't that you bought too little. It was that the cat ate part of your supply while waiting for you to come back for him.

Bette said...

I love the Angel Cat but I can see he's a lot of work. I have no advice to give but both pieces are lovely.

Cyn said...

Hi Kathryn,

Do I ever feel guilty? Nope. I stitch on what I want and have fun. :-)

But I do try to limit the stitching distractions by only having 3 to 5 projects on the table at any one time. LOL!

Glad I was able to help on the thread selection process. You just need to get into a routine with the background stitching. Do a little bit of background than something else, a little bit of background, then something else. Or put on a long movie/audio book and stitch. :-)

The cat canvas is going to look great when it's done!

Cynthia
Windy Meadow

Pumpkin said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling better Kathryn!

I think kitty looks adorable :o) Don't put him away for too long.