Friday, May 7, 2010

It's A Pie

I've had a hard time trying to get back to stitching this piece.  It might be because of all the beads or it might be the confetti nature of all the stitching (there are two different kinds of red beads).  Or maybe it is because I am not stitching much at all.  I thought about going back to Angel Cat, but in the end, I think I will finish this.  Then there is only one Mill Hill kit left to have all six stitched.  Once they are all done, I can have them all framed at once in compatible frames.  Although we have started construction on the new house, these should all be done well before there is a wall to hang them on.

I do have a more serious problem though.  My beloved mother-in-law passed away two weeks ago.  My husband flew back in time to say goodbye, though I almost had to kick him out.  He wasn't sure that I was healthy enough to be on my own, but I managed just fine.  Unfortunately my doctor did not think I was healthy enough to fly, so I couldn't go with him.  He stayed to help his sister with the estate and to attend the funeral and burial.  I am glad that he went and also glad that he is home again before my chemo and radiation started.  But I have been stitching Tranquilty (The Shells) specifically for my mother-in-law.  I look at it in my To Do pile and don't know if I will pick it up again.  Have any of you started a project but not finished it for someone who is no longer here?  I hate to abandon it, but it also makes me sad to look at it.  My husband did bring back several stitched items that I had given my mother-in-law over the years and some items she had stitched.  None of his family would really appreciate them the way my excellent needlepointing mother-in-law did.  I have plenty of other projects to work on, so I will just let Tranquilty (The Shells) sit for a while.

10 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Kathryn, I'm SO sorry to hear this :o( How heartbreaking. I'm not sure what to say or what you should do with that piece. You could finish it in 'honor' of your MIL :o)

I've been thinking of you and home you are doing okay.

Jane said...

My sympathies Kathryn. I also received several stitched items from my MIL when she passed away. DH was just saying that it will be 4 years this July!

Kelly said...

So sorry to hear about your loss. Once a little time passes, you will figure out the right thing to do with the piece.

Coni said...

Such sad news about your mother in law. Please accept my condolences.

I'm sending my most fervent healing and happy thoughts to you as you start your chemo...keep your chin up!

Anna van Schurman said...

I send my condolences as well. My grandfather died (six years ago now) before I could make scrapbooks out of the photos of his military career that had been stored in manila folders. Of course, Melissa of Musings from a Three Bedroom Ranch wrote about Fairy Grandmother on my blog and hers both. You're not alone. In many ways.

Front Range Stitcher said...

Gosh Katherine I am very sorry for your loss. Thanks for giving an update, I know I was wondering how things were going.

To answer your question, I was in the middle of stitching a large St. Boneventure's University logo for my best friends son's graduation when he was in a fatal accident. My friend passed away 2 years later and I never finished this piece, but I still have it stored safely in my cedar chest. I agree with Kelly that once some time has passed you'll know what to do. Big hugs winging their way from my house to yours.

jcbemis said...

I have some pieces my grandmother started for my mother before her eyesight started being too poor to stitch, and now they're both gone, and I am the remaining family stitcher (though I am doing far more computer games than stitching these days)I'm not sure what I want to do with them at this point.

Parsley said...

CUTE CUTE CUTE! I just love this project!

Finally getting around to seeing your blog and now I follow. You'll be getting a postcard from me soon. ;)

mainely stitching said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your wonderful mother-in-law has passed away, Kathryn. Many hugs and loving thoughts to you and your husband.

Meari said...

My condolences on the loss of your MIL. I would say to just leave Tranquility sit for a while. Maybe after the grieving, you'll feel like finishing it.