Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's A Fish

I've been very schizophrenic about stitching lately. Some days I will sit down for hours merrily stitching away. Then other days I ignore my stitching chair altogether. Yesterday I even started going through cross stitch magazines looking for a small project to start. I'm supposed to be working on UFOs, this year but a new start here or there can't hurt. This project is very close to being done. I just have the lower right quadrant to finish, but it has a lot of picky background stitches and I just can't get the motivation to do it. I am glad that I bought another skein of Gloriana Perle Granny Smith (the main background color) as this shows the last stitches of the two skeins that I thought would cover all the background. Maybe it would have if I was a more frugal stitcher. But every since I began needlepoint, I was taught to be sure and cover the back as densely as the front. That is especially true for working with wools that might get some wear, but it really is a good idea for most canvas work. The canvas won't hide a skimpy thread like a linen might.

On the health front, the fun part is over. Although my chemo oncologist says that the Xeloda pills I am taking are not "serious" chemotherapy, I seem to be having several of the side effects that the pills can cause, including nausea and diarrhea. The good news is that my radiation oncologist has just shortened my radiation sessions from 30 to 28. If the machine doesn't break down, my last session could be next Thursday! Hooray! No more chemo or radiation for a month. Of course after that comes the serious infusion chemotherapy, but in the meantime I can travel for the first time in three months (visiting an oncologist in Pasadena does not count as traveling).

First we are flying to Lexington, Kentucky, to drive home some of the larger items in my mother-in-law's estate. The question remains do we drive back through Denver (better scenery) or Albuquerque (wonderful food)? Then we are going to my first science fiction convention in almost a year. I missed the last three conventions I usually go to, so I am excited to be able see many of my friends. And possibly I can sneak a small trip to San Francisco in there, too. I really miss the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market. I hope apricots are still in season when I get there. Although treatment for cancer is Not Fun, I still have great oncologists and support staff and am grateful for the help I am getting.

7 comments:

renata said...

I am happy to hear that your treatment is going well. Your needlework has certainly not suffered from it. I am sure that the trips you have planned will give your health a boost.

Mary said...

This piece is so cute and you are nearing the end. But, I know what you mean about needing to start something new. That couldn't hurt, could it?...

Glad you will be on a break for a while and will have a change of scenery!

Anna van Schurman said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well. And I vote for Albuquerque. For me, food always wins.

mainely stitching said...

How great that you'll be able to travel! I can only imagine how excited you are about that. ENJOY!!

Dani - tkdchick said...

Kathryn,

I've not been around to many blogs in ages, and I come here to find out you've been sick! I do so hope your treatments are effective despite the nasty side effects! I am glad to hear you're able to travel for the first time in ages and I hope you enjoy the trip. Hmmm the bad me would be tempted by good food. The good me would be tempted by aweseome scenery to take pictures.

Your cat is fantastic!

Take care of yourself, you're one special lady!

jcbemis said...

I know seeing my friends made the rest of what was going on with my leg bearable the last couple of years - and many of them can't afford to travel, so I have to go to cons local to them to see them. Which con are you going to?

Meari said...

Yay for a break on the chemo! How are you feeling?

I say start a new project if you want to!! The cat is almost finished.