Sunday, June 13, 2010

Stitching Blogger's Question

"Tell us about something that you have stitched or plan to stitch for any father in your life. Maybe it’s for your father, your father-in-law, your children’s father, your grandfather, your godfather, or someone who was or still is an important father-figure in your life. Why did you choose this particular piece of stitching? Tell us the story behind it."

Originally I wasn't going to answer this question, but my first needlepoint that I designed myself as a teenager was for my father. My father was born on July 4th, so for the longest time I thought all the fireworks were for him. I designed a needlepoint American flag, all in wool in tent stitch. As I recall it was rather large (over 12 inches high and over 18 inches long in 14 or 18 count canvas) and took me several months to stitch. The stripes were red and white, but instead of stars, I put his initials, CEP, in gold Kreinik in the blue field. When I gave it to him he was less than impressed, which is probably why I hesitate to stitch for others. Maybe I should have stitched a Confederate flag to match his favorite lighter, which also played Dixie when opened. I never stitched anything for my lovely father-in-law because his wife was a much better stitcher than I was at the time.

"Often times we identify our love of needlework and our skills with our mothers or grandmothers or other women. It’s understandable because often they were are first teachers or role models. Now let’s think about our stitching life as it relates to our dads. Is there anything about our approach to stitching that we can recognize as traits of our fathers? For instance, does your dad (or any other important man in your life) have an approach to one of his interests that you can observe and think, “Hey….if I substitute the word “needlework” for “fly fishing”, we’d be pretty darn similar!” So tell us about it."

I have inherited my father's genetics; thin straight hair, good teeth, and fair coloring. We are both introverted, but spent most of our working life traveling. Other than that, I really can't say much about him. I haven't seen him in over 30 years, even when I went to see my mother in Florida, he made sure that I wasn't around when he was visiting.

On a more productive note, I am almost, almost finished with Angel Cat. I have finished all the picky details and just have the background and the border to finish. I should have it done this week. Then I have mostly kitted up (need to iron the fabric) a strange pattern from one of the Portuguese cross stitch magazines I bought in Lisbon. It will fit in well with my other kitchen cross stitches.

No comments: