Sunday, July 11, 2010

By a Neck

Wow! I certainly did a lot of stitching in one day. The dragon himself is starting to take shape here, including his spiky parts. I didn't finish off the top of his wing because I was coming too close to the edge of the Q-Snaps. This pattern is just a little too big for the 8" Q-Snaps, so the wing could not be finished before I moved the fabric to expose more of the top right. There are actually lots of other colors in this design; purples and reds and blues, but they are mostly in the background, so I am stitching up most of the dragon before starting the background.

On Wednesday we left for San Francisco which has been a festival of food. Not just favorite restaurants like LuLu's and Chef's Chu's (where I got a lovely autographed cookbook from Chef Chu himself), but also favorite foods from Whole Foods (like their wonderful banana cream pie). I wish all Whole Foods had the same bakery recipes, as the desserts from the local Nevada ones are not near as good as the ones in San Francisco. And the piece de resistance was our visit to the Saturday farmer's market yesterday. I ate wonderful Mexican food and bought cheese and olive oil and jams and APRICOTS. Oh, my ghod, the Blenheim apricots from Frog Hollow are wonderful. And so are the HoneySnow white peaches. But today we head off for Nevada where I will have a port put in my chest on Wednesday for chemotherapy.

6 comments:

Pumpkin said...

Nice progress Kathryn!

Front Range Stitcher said...

First, it's midnight and now I'm hungry. There is nothing in this house that even remotely sounds like the luscious things you mentioned. Sounds like you had a marvelous trip, including the aforementioned convention. I like the colors of your dragon. Will be thinking of you on Wednesday and sending you best wishes.

liz said...

I think San Francisco has great food as well; even here in LA you can't get sourdough that tastes anything like what they have there, and their Chinatown is better than our Chinatown for both food and knick knacks. Ed and I like Whole Foods cannolli - I didn't know the recipes were different, though! Good luck with the port.

Anna van Schurman said...

Liz, in LA you gotta go to Alhambra/Monterey Park for Chinese food (not keen on knick knacks so I can't tell you about that) but definitely head east!

Kathryn, good luck as you begin your chemo.

Donna said...

You've just reminded me that I haven't had breakfast yet. And now I wish I was having breakfast in San Fran. I hope all goes smoothly with the chemo.

Mel said...

Sounds like a good trip!

Lovely stitching. Can't wait to see more of the dragon.